[Theforum] another online community in trouble

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Jun 19 08:54:17 CDT 2002

Tara Cleveland wrote:

> I'm one of those "poor freelancers" and I'd much rather donate $100 to evolt
> than have my eyeballs sold by evolt. Before I joined theforum I had no idea
> how much $$$ it was costing to run evolt and I didn't know there was a
> crisis. I would have wanted the issue put before me so that I could have the
> chance to donate the cash before evolt went kaput or "went corporate". I'm
> not saying that we're "going corporate", I'm just saying that's what I would
> have thought if evolt just started having corporate ads.

nice to hear about that, i'm hoping there are many others who think the same way

> I agree that we should open the books and make it crystal clear to the
> membership that unless they (as a whole, not individually) give money, evolt
> will be dead or will have to find corporate sponsorship/advertising.

yes, definately

> I also
> like the "sponsor a student idea". Maybe we could have something where
> students sign up to be sponsored and put down a little photo and a bio and
> our richer members can *choose* a student to sponsor? Might be a laugh... it
> works for Foster Parents Plan...

it doesn't need to be that complex, it could be as simple as saying:
if you put $10 a month, you cover your own membership, if you put $20 a month,
over you're own membership, you're covering another member who is not in position
to pay his fee