[Theforum] another online community in trouble

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Wed Jun 19 09:03:07 CDT 2002

> out of the 140GB(!) we transferred last month,
> 120GB of that was beo... if you really want to cut
> evolt costs, you have to do something with *BEO*.

This is really interesting... is there a way to find out which browsers are
killing the bandwidth? I'd imagine there were a lot more NN6/Moz downloads
than, say, the WebTV Viewer...

What about asking members with their own servers to mirror (or just take)
sections of the BEO archive to their own servers? (NOT meo sites...) I've
got "unmetered data transfer" according to my hosting provider, but they'll
raise a stink if people start downloading 140GB/month from me. I don't think
they'd have a problem with 5GB/month though... we can keep BEO, but just put
the exe/zip/tar files on other boxen across the world...

We'd lose a bit of reliability, so it might help to have mirrors, but if the
actual browser files (the exe/tar/zip stuff) were *NOT* on an evolt box, but
that of an evolt member, we'd see the bandwidth bill drop like a rock.

Thoughts?

I'd MUCH rather see evolt do this (or at least try) before selling ad space
on the weo site or the mailing list.

-Ken Kogler