[Theforum] another online community in trouble

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 09:44:20 CDT 2002

> From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
>
> aardvark wrote:
> >what about if there's a better thing out there?
>
> er... why is that *our* decision to make, again?

it's our decision on how we plan to proceed with meo...  isn't it?
can't we decide to kill meo, or make it the most kickin' ass service
out there or even make it into a small lump of tar?

> if people think it's better, they'll move.

agreed, but then let's be sure we aren't competing with it, because
that would be silly...

> having a meo account is a community statement. you'll notice that i
> sign all my emails to themembers with my meo account address.

if that's the case, then does it really matter what meo offers?

> I'm thinking we're talking 3GB/mo. max (we'll know for sure when jeff
> finishes the log analyzation for meo... or if my laptop can finally
> muster the cycles to do it)
>
> killing a service like meo to save a couple GB/mo is just wrong, IMO.

granted, if it's 2GB, it's no biggie... i agree with that... otoh, if
there's a service out there that does something better than we do
it, or doesn't offer a benefit to a user to do it here (is community
enough?), then why would we still throw resources at it?

i'm not suggesting we kill it just to save bandwidth, i'm suggesting
we examine if it's worth continuing given the options out there, what
resources we have, and what it's cost to us is...

> f2o is not evolt. i'm not sure how else i can put that.

there's no reason to try to put it another way... of *course* f20 isn't
evolt.org... but if it were cnet india, i'd say the same thing...

> having "another meo" is not the same as "another beo". meo is for our
> members. it's a privilege. it's a statement. the meo email and the meo
> url are a big part of the service and a big reason why the people who
> actually are approved for accounts (hard-core evolters) even apply in
> the first place.

i can accept that... that, then, sounds like the *real* reason to
keep meo, not necessarily because of the services it offers...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself