[Theforum] beo (was: another online community in trouble)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Jun 20 04:46:27 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Warden, Matt" <mwarden at mattwarden.com>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Theforum] beo (was: another online community in trouble)

> Ken wrote:
> > is there a way to find out which browsers are killing the bandwidth?
>
> http://lists.evolt.org/sysadminarchive/2002-June/000144.html
>
> > What about asking members with their own servers to mirror (or just
> > take) sections of the BEO archive to their own servers?
>
> Yeah, that's the plan. Unfortunately, John slacked on his description
> to the list :)
>
> but he explained his plan to me. basically, a mirroring site could
> take a single file or many files. when someone came to beo and looked
> for CrackBrowser 2.1, we'd show a list of available locations for that
> file. first, we'd include the link to the file on beo. but once we
> built up our mirror sites, we'd take off the link to the file on beo
> altogether.

sounds similar to my idea, where a curator (or curators - I initially
thought of 'prime' and 'backup' curators, but multiple curators would rock
too) would manage the mirroring and maintenance of a particular browser with
their donated bandwidth.  They would be listed as a curator on that browsers
information page, which would contain as much info about the browser as
possible ...

I've been through the mill on this on the wiki, but nothing concrete has
come out of it ...
- http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/BrowserIdeas

This was the reason I wanted to get more involved in evolt in recent weeks,
and i'm still very interested into playing a part in elevating beo to more
than just a big filestore of browsers.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'