[Theforum] Re: [Content] Mail Alert! - Sat Jun 22 31226

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Sun Jun 23 00:22:32 CDT 2002

Garrett Coakley said:

> Would it be an idea to just shut off beo for the time being with a note
> on the front page saying something along the lines of:
>
> "Sorry, but we are in the process of implementing a new browser archive
> service in order to ease the bandwidth usage on our server (currently
> standing at around 100+ Gig per month). Until this new system is in
> place we have decided to close the archive totaly rather than offer a
> substandard service. [Maybe then stick some blurb about
> helping/donating evolt.org]."
>

> I don't particularly like the idea of shutting down beo, but it might
> be a wise move in the interim.
>
> Thoughts?

+1. Better to maintain a reputation for quality than to stay up all the
time. the amount of e-mail coming in about this is astounding, and that's
just the people who have bothered to contact us. Also, a note might help
draw more offers of mirrors, so we can get it back up without throttling,
etc quicker.

Lach
http://members.evolt.org/luminosity/
MSN: luminosity @ members.evolt.org