[Theforum] amazon (was: half the battle - finance time)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Jul 15 16:34:59 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
To: <theforum at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Theforum] amazon (was: half the battle - finance time)

> Marlene
>
> Here's how to build a generic item link:
>
> Take the ASIN (which for books is the same as the ISBN) of the
> product.
>
> Stick "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/" before it
>
> Stick "/evoltorg02-20" after it.
>
> Result: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904151035/evoltorg02-
> 20
>
> All the rest of the stuff is just session info.

it's easy peasy lemon squeezy once someone fills you in on how the hell
these things work - i always call this 'deamazonification' - stripping all
the session, search, referrer and other crap outta amazon and similar
commerce site URLs.

I knocked up a quick script that i use on one of my sites to link people
from items to amazon simply by passing the site you want to use and the ASIN
you want to link to - have a quick nosey at
http://neuro.me.uk/projects/evolt.org/shop.pl.txt - if you just used the
asin parameter, it'd be a cinch.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'