[Theforum] [---Dev] RE: [---tent] Article cleanup issue

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Tue Jul 23 14:40:35 CDT 2002

>> > the new solution is to find a way to set articles to an
>> > 'archived' status which relieves some load on the db,
>> > but otherwise doesn't harm their status as published
>> > articles (preserves incoming links, shows 'em in search
>> > results, counts toward cubes, etc.)...
>
> so, who has an issue with this solution, as described above?

i do

restating the above, the new solution is to archive articles to relieve the
load on the database while otherwise having no harmful effect on articles

could we perhaps also consider other solutions which relieve the load on
the database while otherwise having no harmful effect on articles?

not that i can think of any, at the moment

as i recall (and that's an iffy proposition at the best of times), there
were quite a few subqueries in the front page query, so maybe there are
other ways we can improve its performance

the hot stuff in the sidebar is all separate queries, right jeff?

> let's not make technical assumptions just yet...

true, if we're talking about cutting something out

but solving a performance problem often requires looking at technical
details, like "how bad is it really?" and "what's causing it?"

rudy