[Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]

Matt Liotta mliotta at r337.com
Wed Sep 4 18:27:06 CDT 2002

> Sorry my memory was faulty.  The combined SMTP and HTTP traffic exceed
> beo.

That really doesn't give a good monthly picture.

> and provide some comments on how well that you could meet the
> requirements.  Where are you located?  What would it cost to move the
> servers?  etc.

This link suggested bandwidth was at 100GB per month with 82% of being
the browser archive. Meeting the requirements wouldn't be hard if Evolt
was a paying customer, but since we are talking about free hosting here,
I would be inclined to change the requirements. Let me go through them
one by one.

First, there are the servers. Depending on the size of the existing
servers co-locating 5 servers would waste a lot of space. I would be
more inclined to provide the hardware myself. Further, it doesn't really
seem like you need 5 servers to host Evolt.

Next, the requirements say lists.evolt.org doesn't fit in a rack. I
can't deal with that.

Next, you want backups. Fair enough, what kind? I am certainly not going
to give Evolt free hosting and free tapes if that was what is in mind.

Next, UPS. No problem, my facilities use N+1 redundant power setups with
both battery and diesel backup power. In other words, the power will
never go out.

Next, physical access to the hardware. No way! Which is another good
reason for me to provide the hardware.

Next, remote ssh access. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Next, ftp access. I am strictly against this. Use scp!

Finally, tech support. Depends on what you have in mind. I thought there
were designated tech support people for Evolt already.

-Matt