[Theforum] Re: [Fwd: evolt.org permanant funding]

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Sep 4 23:56:45 CDT 2002

Affiliate programs have been discussed in the past (on the marketing list
especially) as a good, on-going means of supporting evolt.org.

As Dean has stated, there are a number of options, but Ron's is the first to
have been presented solidly.

Basically, the idea is that you normally pay $10/m for your little sites.
Instead, you host them with Ron/bro, and a cut comes to evolt.org. It's like
a tax on your sites/small clients/whatever that can keep evolt.org running.
And when e.o is often a source of inspiration and solutions for your
clients, how is that not fair?

Ideally, we'd have a variety of affiliate options (I had a few potentials
recorded on the Wiki before other issues began taking up my time), but a lot
of them are quite inflexible with regard to multiple site owners pointing
their affiliate payments at a single source, etc. I have no problems with
starting with the single affiliate option. If people don't like the service,
and don't want to support e.o, they can easily host elsewhere.

As for the design competition, it's just an idea to get the site better
presented. I've previously offered to design the site and throw the entire
$1k to evolt.org.

isaac