[Theforum] [xxxsite] Opportunity

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Wed Oct 2 11:25:14 CDT 2002

William Anderson wrote:

> Martin Burns wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Dean Mah wrote:
> >
> > > I'm forwarding this to theforum.  I don't believe that we have any
> > > policy in place.  There has been talk in the past, I believe, but
> > > nothing was decided.
> >
> > First thing to be sure of - the principle of the thing.
> >
> > Do we feel happy with accepting advertising to pay evolt's bills?
>
> I've no issue with it, as long as it's not popup, popbehind, popout or
> fullscreen ads - just simple jpg, png, anim gif or flash ads.

this thing was started due to the need to create an advertising resource
(at least it was one of the main intentions) so accepting coprorate
funding is against our original ideas: "by the members, for the members"
everything was supposed to be coming from our individual resources.

with the way things have changed in time, and the state we currently
are, i just don't know what to say. people involved in the
administration seem to be each day less strongly opposed to advertising
(the rejection used to be very strong) and it has become an acceptable
option for some.

it could work, but it would be *very sad* to see banners of any kind on
our pages. i'd rather pursue the other funding options we had previously
discussed.

http://freezope2.nipltd.net/acorn/evolt/FundRaising

Ideas for sustaining evolt.org (particularly our hosting costs):

	ChargingforMeo - even if it's token. Sounds like HonestMoney. (Would we
want to require 	giving from m.e.o. account holders who don't
participate?)

	The old AdMin? crew thought up TagWear

 		- KenKogler is compiling a list of ReferralPrograms

 		- Establish an AffiliateHosting program (ron has the fisrt one up)

	Encourage:

 		- Corporate giving (not advertising)

		- Member giving

Corporate or private sponsorship of members who can't themselves give

PS: ony by chance i hapened to find a conversation on another list that
describes evolt.org "One place that Wiki could be promoted is Evolt.Org.
It's a non-commercial website about web development for web developers
by web developers."