[Theforum] Fw: [xxxlist] ADMIN Note (was: FW: Please don't vote.)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 5 11:30:10 CST 2002

> From: "rudy" <rudy at flaming monkeys.com>
>
> adrian, my apologies if this offends, but i am compelled to point it
> out
>
> there was altogether way too much use of the first person singular
> pronoun "i" in that post -- "i'll likely treat you," "i'm really a
> rough grader," "i've taken names," "i've seen way too many people lax
> on this..."
>
> perhaps you were trying for flair, but many people will not know you

actually, i used "i" in order to let people know there *is* a face
there, someone does read the stuff, and it's not all hidden within
the multitudes of lists while decisions languish... that's not a shot,
but seriously, i'm under the impression that when we start getting
bounce notifications of an account over quota, for example, that list
admins are allowed to go nomail it without bothering any of the
lists...

also, i wanted it to be harsh, but tempered with some humor (taken
names for santa, for example)... i feel some of your examples
above are a bit out of context...

the list posts *have* been getting noisier... less trimming, less tips,
more off-topic posts...

granted, you are correct in that some folks may/will misinterpret
my remarks and think i'm a wanker, but we both know how little i've
concerned myself with that in the past...

are you suggesting i post a follow-up?

> we should strive to have an open, welcoming, tolerant atmosphere, and
> not give the impression that thelist (and therefore the better part of
> the community) is run by a fanatic who keeps track of tips, and
> people's names, and judges them harshly

but i am, and i do...

i don't, however, kick people or harass them for that...

> those who don't know how totally over-the-top you are will think

heh... totally over-the-top... i like that...

>   "i can't say anything without a tip because it might be offtopic"
>
>   "if it's offtopic, then aardvark says it doesn't matter if it has a
>   tip"
>
>   "maybe my tip won't be good enough so i better not post"
>
>   "i can't think of any tips right now"
>
> and ultimately this inhibits contribution and will kill the community

i do agree with this sentiment, but i also think that enough people
on thelist know me, and have seen me *not* jump on people about
this, to have a good enough idea of what flies...

> people should be allowed to make offtopic posts as long as a tip is
> given

not so sure i agree with that... the occassional one, sure... but a
thread on voting should not exist even if *every* post has a tip...
IMO, at least...

> also, my preference is for at least some sort of discussion permitted
> by the community when something like this happens -- you gave the
> impression that the entire issue surrounding this post was your
> jurisdiction and we should have waited until you got back

that wasn't my intention... moreso i was trying to convey that had i
been around, i would have responded sooner as a list admin (i got
a bunch of offlist requests to start kicking people, actually)... kinda
like when i jumped on the guy over the weekend who posted just
trying to sell his wares (and had signed up only an hour
beforehand)...

even then, i would have called it dead and maybe even blocked all
posts (if i knew how) with that thread...

please keep in mind that list admin duties came with no instruction
manual of any kind, and i also tend toward more of the iron fist
approach (which is weird given how hands-off i try to be)... at any
time, we can clarify the policies and i'll abide by them...

> that is not my idea of how evolt should be run
>
> any chance you can post a followup to clarify?   please?

sure, care to suggest what i should say?

this isn't meant to be me being a wanker, but if i *don't* come off
as light enough, suggestions on what to say would be handy...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself