[Theforum] Paying Our Debt

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 16:45:26 CST 2002

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Dean Mah wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been paying too much
> attention, but...
>
> How are we for money?  Have we paid Ron *anything* for hosting the
> last 4 months?

No, but eouk has reduced the bandwidth burden *considerably*, and I'd
expect the new mirror (nice one William) to go further still.

> I can't imagine that him or his investors can be feeling too comfortable
> letting us ride for free forever.  It seems we moved from taking
> advantage of Dan to taking advantage of Ron.

+1 - not good.

However, bearing John's thoughts:
http://lists.evolt.org/steeringarchive/2002-December/000163.html
in mind, we're taking even greater advantage than we need be.

(btw - anyone on css-d want to comment on whether its perceived
performance is up to scratch?)

> Has the affliate programs generated any money?  Is marketing actively
> promoting the programs?  What are about the donation wall?

Behind the donation bar in the list of priorities. Although if it were a
non-CF solution, I'd expect that it could be done without placing more
burden on Jeff. If it were (say) donations.evolt.org then it could be on
the meo box (or we could have it on eouk) as a single page (or small
number), running off PHP or something.

Also, if we don't get tagwear up and running by (say) Easter, I'm going to
get seriously bored with doing reminders about it.

Finally, if the discussion we're having about evolters.org actually ends
up anywhere, it'll bring in cash too.