[theforum] movement for redesign

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 03:49:10 CDT 2003

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 12:59  am, Elfur Logadottir wrote:

> in short: we need volunteers.

*cough*desdev*cough*

> We need coordinators, collectors, workers and idealists and lots of
> other
> types of people.
> We need to refocus our groups, delegate tasks ... decide which tasks to
> delegate etc.

I don't think we need to refocus our groups - but we need to make sure
that all the detailed work happens in desdev. After all, developing the
evolt sites is the entire raison d'etre of desdev.

> But first and foremost, we need a person willing to take over the whip.

Yep:
http://lists.evolt.org/steeringarchive/2003-August/000418.html

imo it's for desdev to pick someone (or at the least, be happy with the
person). However:
1) The person has to be super-organised
2) The person ideally wouldn't be one of our core coders because then:
    a) we don't lose the coding time to co-ordination
    b) that person is then not open to accusations of bias towards their
main tool.
3) If we're having the final codevolt in the UK, it's going to be
useful to have the person physically there

> the Whipper needs to do the following (amongst other):
>
> ** take notes - not official minutes, but whenever someone throws a
> good
> idea out there, it needs to be grabbed and added to the routine, before
> it's lost in the ocean of non-explored ideas.

ie make damned sure that people document on the wiki

> ** make sure ideas are evolved into tasks
> ** delegate the tasks to the proper [people]
> ** decide on deadlines for certain tasks
> ** call upon decisions and focus for us all.
> ** not do the tasks him/herself but try and make sure that someone is
>     working on them
>
> you know, the usual shebang a project manager needs to do.

Yeah.

> I have certain persons in mind while writing this, but do prefer having
> them volunteer for the position themselves.
>
> Finally I must say though, that there's no need to have but one
> whipper, it
> could be several persons taking over either parts of the job or the job
> part of the time. and remember, the project launch is December, 14 2003

...and most of the design work needs to be completed by the end of
October

Now playing on iTunes: "The Emigrant" by The Furey Brothers and Davey
Arthur from 'Green Velvet'