Why PPV is a bad idea to begin with (was RE: [theforum] movementfor redesign)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Aug 12 15:51:56 CDT 2003

John Handelaar wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Thus far, evolters.org a) doesn't exist and b) sure as
> hell doesn't provide anything on its feature list

afaict, nothing is cast in stone, so no reason to get het up about it.
However, why *shouldn't* we charge a nominal amount (no more than a couple
of bucks a month) to provide blogspace, lists (excluding thechat and leo
lists), and anything cool we can think to huckle into it to give more bang
for buck?

No-one's suggesting we sell something which has little purpose, or
overcharge for something poo, i thought we'd *always* said the migration
from meo to evolters.org would be to become a chargable service as part of
the goal to generate some revenue.  Also, no-one's suggesting charging for
anything.evolt.org, at least I don't think they are :)

> which People Like Us can't get elsewhere for nothing,
> not least from f2o.

f2o *do* charge for premium services such as domain name services, more
databases, disk space, data transfer, email accounts, etc.  But I thought we
were providing value added bespoke services, not regular hosting services.

Just realised this sounds a bit bitchy.  But so do you, so :P :)

> grr.

honk.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like