[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Thu Aug 14 15:24:36 CDT 2003

From: "Sabrina Dent, Apperception"

| > let me place my objection to this on the record, as i have
| > done on previous
| > occasions
|
| While I love the idea of the donation wall and appreciate the effort
| Martin has put into this *much needed* initiative, I have to say I agree
| with Madhu on this particular aspect. I consider personal donations to
| evolt.org to be just that -- personal. Even if I can *individually*
| choose to not display the $ of my donation, I think evolt.org displaying
| actual amounts from donors is in very poor taste.

well. i don't want to display persons donating individual amounts here an
there, and i'm treating all paypal donations as anonymous. Listing names
without amounts seems like a good idea to me as well, but i also think that
any person(s) donating substantial amount on a regular basis (either in
kind or directly) should be mentioned.

| I don't actually see the *point* of showing the amount. The amount of
| individual donations is, in fact, not the point; rather it's the total
| cumulative value of everyone's individual contributions. That should be
| reflected in a total-to-date display of some kind.

agreed indeed.

| For corporate or technical donors, ie hosting services, I don't have
| this problem, and in fact, if we're going to be charting
| donations-in-kind, I think we do need to provide a more public
| accounting for that.

yup. i agree on that as well. it's just a matter of defining what and how
we list it.

however, having this place where i/we have in one place all donations, for
me as a treasurer is great - so maybe it's just about defining how things
are displayed in public and then creating a private view for the
administration ;)

thanks
elfur