[theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 17:57:01 CDT 2003

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 04:57  pm, William Anderson wrote:

> Isaac Forman wrote:
> > William Anderson wrote:
>> >Read http://jrobb.mindplex.org/2003/08/14.html#a3525 to find out why
>> >adsense isn't the holy grail of advertising.
>> >
>> >And if Google goes down/under/resold/whatever, we have no ads.
>> This and the arguments cited in the blog-entry above are pretty weak,
>> IMO.
>
> I'm personally of the opinion that we can survive without ads.

Maybes Aye. Maybes No'.

However, I did a back of fag packet calculation this afternoon on how
much Google AdSense might make us, based on a whole load of finger in
the air assumptions.

Worst case, and we get $5 a day, that's $150/month, or "A Box and
plentiful bandwidth".

Best case was ten times that...

Check out my maths and my assumptions:
http://wiki.evolt.org/wiki/AdvertisingProjections

However, as I've said before, I don't think we should (or indeed will
be able to) rely on a single source of funds. Simply on a 'spread the
risk of one of them failing' basis, we need a number of initiatives
running.