hogwash!: [theforum] Donation Wall - last chance to comment

Lachlan Cannon lach at illuminosity.net
Sat Aug 23 21:18:27 CDT 2003

David A. Ulevitch wrote:
> Saying thanks and paying people back are two different things, but people
> don't (or shouldn't) volunteer with hopes of future remuneration.  That's
> not how volunteering works.

Definitely, and I have no problems with that. I was merely trying to
point out a situation where it would be nice if evolt had spare cash
lying around to give a token gift for peopel going above and beyond...

> And as a response to other topics in this thread -- If evolt becomes that
> rackshack commercial hosting company that some people want or an
> advertiser-laden site, you'll have to count my support out. (financial,
> resources and time)

I don't think we should go over the top with ventures like those either.
However, if there are discreet and fairly low maintenance ways for us to
  a) guarantee our survival even if we have to pay for hosting and if
evolt's popularity increases a lot, and b) have enough cash lying around
for i) emergencies and ii) trying out fun / interesting ideas, then I'm
all for it. Eg, see Martin's example AdSense calculations.

Martin worte:
 >However, as I've said before, I don't think we should (or indeed will
 >be able to) rely on a single source of funds. Simply on a 'spread the
 >risk of one of them failing' basis, we need a number of initiatives
 >running.

I 100% agree, however, having textads on the site does look like it
could be the best key to keeping evolt going without having to rely on
big contributions from people. Also, bear in mind that Google aren't the
only text ad supplier out there...
--
Lach
http://illuminosity.net/