[theforum] fundraising idea

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Mar 9 21:30:51 CST 2004

.jeff wrote:
> anybody but thawte please.  i can't recommend them for ssl because they're
> owned by verisign.

I agree wholeheartedly, but the fact is a LOT of people have no real choice
other than to buy Thawte or Verisign. If anyone else knows of any root
certificates which are cheaper than Thawte's, and still have browser
ubiquity -- and I'm talking IE 4 here -- then I'd love to hear about them.

A lot of people have to buy Thawte certs anyway, just because of certain
business requirements to support IE4 (yeah, really), so I figured if they
have to -- or, indeed, if their company mandates Thawte/Verisign for some
other reason, which also happens -- we might as well get a kickback.

Paul.