[theforum] fundraising idea

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Mar 9 23:55:38 CST 2004

Jeff Howden wrote:

> anybody but thawte please.  i can't recommend them for ssl because they're
> owned by verisign.
>
> besides, there are a number of other, much less expensive providers that
> many on thelist have had good experiences with.  geotrust is a fine example
> and backed by more of a household name (experian) than even verisign.

Thawte isn't that evil. I remember when they were bought out by verisign
  and I was afraid that everything would change. But, at least the last
time I worked with them, most everything stayed the same. The certs were
still cheaper than Versign, they were still based outside the US (with
all the encryption advantages that brought at the time), they still
provided live support (and competent at that) via IRC. I even remember
getting an email from Thawte's president explaining the merger and how
it wasn't going to turn them evil. It was a major issue at the time and
I haven't seen anything that has shown be that they have particularly
gone down the road of Verisign thus far, in spite of the ownership of
the company. I admit that I get more warning messages when my cert is
about to expire than I would like, but I expect that from most
companies. Unless there is a more substantial accusation than "they are
owned by Verisign" (which I do take seriously), I'm not completely
opposed to an affiliate relationship with them.

That being said, I'd prefer a relationship with Geotrust, as Verisign is
evil and I don't want to line their pockets, even indirectly.

Judah