[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Fri May 21 15:08:07 CDT 2004

> Like I said earlier, I can't put my finger on it but I just feel the
> community aspect isn't what it used to be. There used to be a lot of
> activity around evolt, everyone seemed receptive to new
> ideas, meo was
> still there (it was a real shame that went in my opinion) etc. I just
> feel there isn't as much community spirit or enthusiasm anymore, and
> things seem to take forever to get done.

Agreed, more or less, on all counts

> Improvements?
>
> 1. Scrap the hierachy of steering - it takes forever to get decisions
> made as far as I've seen already. If people want to get more
> involved,
> they can - on theforum.

agreed - ain't that done already?

> 2. Let people join any damn list they want. If they're
> interested enough
> to get involved, they'll subscribe and post. Get rid of some of the
> lists as well, there are too many.

hmmm . . . in practicality, part A conflicts with #1. large groups move
slowly. some threshold to entry is usually A Good Thing.

Part B - as above, ain't that done already?

> 3. Bring back meo if possible.

if we have the money and manpower, yeah, indeed. I have an f2o account,
but evolt still feels more like home (this from a guy who has seven
personal sites and three business sites; like I *need* meo)

> 4. Implement partial mirrors so people like me can contribute.

agreed - I couldn't possibly know *less* about this than I already do
without a full lobotomy, but I've always wanted to contribute *some*
bandwidth, just not all of mine

> 5. For heaven's sake work out who the hell is supposed to be
> running the
> show. From the posts I've seen to theforum recently, we're
> not even sure
> who has root on some of the machines.

my biggest agreed yet. we have a history of all being equal (except for
certain rare circs) and it's left *many* very cool ideas in deadlock.

we need a practical method of leadership. there are many proven methods
of instituting leadership among equals. we just need buy-in from
ourselves to do it.

> I think my main point though is do something and involve
> people rather
> than spending weeks voting on things.

dang tootin'!

> Undoubtably someone out there will reply to this blasting all these
> ideas into space dust, but what the hell.

ah, you had me right up until there. sorry I couldn't oblige ;)

joel