[theforum] Can't get on steering, finance or sysadmin

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri May 21 16:21:19 CDT 2004

On 21 May 2004, at 21:54, Paul Waring wrote:

> Martin Burns wrote:
>

>> *sigh* it's not a case of 'not allowed to join the list', but one of
>> knocking before entering. As you've been told many times in the last
>> 2 days.
>
> Well people need to be told this, rather than going through the
> process of subscribing, confirming and then getting rejecting by a
> moderator. It just makes more work for everyone. Had it said on the
> listinfo page "you need to email this list to apply to be a member",
> or something like that, it would save a great deal of trouble.
> Although I still think it would be easier to allow people to subscribe
> normally - I can't see many people joining a finance list unless
> they're interested.

So I think now that we agree that the wording could be improved, can
you please stop with the "I'm not allowed to join $list" rhetoric?

>> A lovely unqualified subjective statement.
>
> Ok, three maximum (I believe we had a vote on this recently, but it
> still doesn't seem to be in effect yet). thelist, theforum, thechat in
> my opinion.

No, that wasn't the bit I was challenging - 'too many' is a piece of
string, and doesn't show a thought-through argument about what lists
are needed for.

>> Well, get your PHP trousers on and do the coding then.
>
> All it needs in for each major (or minor, depending on how flexible
> you want partial mirrors to be) section to have an entry in a DB table
> and then link those to the mirror sites. Then, when you view a
> download, you look it up in the table and find all the mirrors and
> construct the links.

As William (and I) said, if you've got the time to code it, go ahead.
William - can you sort Paul out with a copy of the current code?

>> Just because *you're* not sure doesn't mean that it's not in hand.
>> Those of us who own the (I should point out: loaned) boxes know.
>
> From what I've seen on the lists, few other people seem to know though.

There are a few constraints in the way, not least of which is time.
Surprisingly enough, we pretty much all have busy day jobs... which
reminds me, I've a very hard deadline to meet on Monday - I'm supposed
to be doing testing.

- --
Now playing on iTunes: "Wonderful Life" by Black from 'Electric - Level
2' - a hit from way back in 1987