[theforum] RFC: w.e.o and l.e.o Server Integration

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jun 3 10:00:23 CDT 2004

Dean Mah <dmah at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 04:15:16PM -0400, David Kaufman wrote:
>
>> whether we need two $100/month boxes or one $200/month box just
>> seems to me to be an implementation detail best left until the
>> system is built and is being tested.
>
> Can you contact ServerMatrix and see how difficult it is to upgrade to
> a bigger server?  Is there extra upgrade/setup fees?  I think that
> will be useful information in deciding how to get going.

[reposted from sysadmin]

i think i did the opposite when i spoke to a sales rep at ServerMatrix: i
asked for a discount if we prepaid a year, essentially locking us into a
configuration.

fortunately my request was denied, as i was advised that "all of
ServerMatrix's accounts have month-to-month payment terms".  so, WRT to
upgrading, it would see to me that we can, could and should simply upgrade
the box at any time we please by merely

  1) renting new box for a one-month overlap
  2) migrating everything to new box in < 30 days
  3) canceling old box before new charges are incurred

also *two* boxes might not be out of the question, if monthly rates in
"the matrix" continue to tumble :-)

-dave