weo hosting situation (was Re: payin .jeff (was: Re: [theforum] RFV:ServerMatrix Hosting for l.e.o))

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Jun 7 20:59:05 CDT 2004

Jeff Howden wrote:
> [snip]
>
> There is no immediate or even foreseeable danger of losing the hosting for
> weo.  I've been asking for 6+ months and gotten no help so I'm prepared to
> continue to pay for it entirely out of my own pocket.  It would just be nice

I asked this already but since you don't seem to be monitoring the lists ...
JOOI why didn't you ask theforum or finance about this at regular intervals
if you didn't hear anything back?  As far as I or anyone else appeared to
know, our CPU time, traffic and disk space for weo was being donated by your
good self - man, if we (the people who pay for the Raq4 in Texas) knew we
could get some of our money back for hosting leo, deo, beo ...

I don't mean to sound rude about this, but we *simply didn't know*, and you
didn't tell us.

> if there are decisions being made about where to spend donated money that
> people consider existing responsibilities before taking on new ones that may
> not be necessary to the level believed (ie, expensive server when a cheap
> one will get the job done).
>
> [snip]
>
> That'll be unnecessary.  Hosting for a site such as evolt.org will cost
> approximately $100 at most any competent host that offers ColdFusion MX
> hosting.  It does *not* need it's own dedicated box.  Spending the money on
> one would be a complete waste of money for hardward and licensing costs.
> Shared hosting is sufficient [...]

*Surely* you jest ... you get as much bang per buck as you can these days,
not just settle for something less.  And shared hosting for weo?  I
personally don't want our data - *our* data - and our CPU time on a server
shared with other people if we can at all help it - don't forget we have
people's personal data on weo.

Also, I'm pretty sure sysadmin as a whole would prefer to have root (and not
pseudo-root/Administrator-alike) to evolt kit wherever possible.  I'll bet
"any competent host" would tell us where to shove it if we asked for an
Administrator login on a shared Win2k/2k3 server :))

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him