[theforum] RFV: ServerMatrix Hosting for l.e.o

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 8 01:27:11 CDT 2004

neuro wrote on 08/06/2004 03:01:22:

> Jeff Howden wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > +1 for moving hosting and going with the cheap box.  If the past is any
> > indicator, we'll be there more than a year before anything is donewith
weo.
> > It doesn't make any sense to waste money on a machine that's more than
we
> > need.
>
> Nonsense - chunky box now, not later - I would personally rather evolt
spent
> money for overpowered hosting which we don't have to move from than get
> something underpowered for what we want to do later and then have to move

> *again*.

I'd also be more concerned about spending $100/month on a box if we had
zero cash to hand and had to start fundraising for this from scratch.
Describing $100/month as 'expensive' and 'a burden' when we have 2 years'
worth of that in the bank is hyperbole. [side rant]We have no business
keeping that cash to hand if we're not going to spend it. If we're not
going to do use it, the ethical thing to do is return it.[/rant]

Without wanting to tell sysadmin its job about whether this is A Good Idea,
if we had to take weo onto the same box, we could get a dual Xeon/1GB RAM
for $149/month, which *surely* would be able to handle just about anything
we throw at it - db, app server, webserver plus leo.

> It's common sense - you overspec for what you need as part of capacity
> planning.  *Never* underspec.

And when those who are likely to be doing the migration work are
non-delighted with the prospect of doing it twice (both in terms of
volunteer effort and risk), that's a powerful factor imo.