[theforum] google AdSense makes dollars (as well as sense)

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Fri Jun 11 07:53:13 CDT 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> but, *please* resist the urge to propose adding google adwords to
> www.evolt.org, or converting theList to HTML-email and adding ads to all of
> those messages.  instead, do as i did (especially if you're a relative
> newcomer like me) and re-read the initial reasons for the creation of the
> evolt itself:

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with adding one textad to weo, so
long as it's non-obtrusive. It could go under 'hot discussions' on the
sidebar perhaps. It would be nice if evolt was self-funding as much as
possible because, as has been pointed out many many times before, if
someone like Jeff goes for whatever reason (not necessarily a bad one,
could just be moving for job or family reasons) we could be seriously stuck.

I will personally slap anyone who suggests converting any list to HTML
though. HTML email should never have been supported in the first place.

Before anyone says anything, I have read the article "How did evolt.org
come about?". There is nothing there that says evolt.org shouldn't try
and raise money to keep itself going, only that it shouldn't be a
commercial venture. Personally, I'd rather have companies coughing up
for the costs in exchange for a bit of advertising rather than relying
on donations (whether they be money, servers, bandwidth or whatever)
from generous people.

Paul