[theforum] google AdSense makes dollars (as well as sense)

Paul Waring paul at rixort.com
Fri Jun 11 17:54:27 CDT 2004

Elfur Logadóttir wrote:
> Evolt.org is not and if i have anything to say, will never be exploiting the
> core competence, the website and the lists it's all about.

We're not considering exploiting it per se, more making it sustain
itself financially. Without revenue (whether that be from ads, donations
or whatever), evolt will eventually die because let's face it, the
people who donate server resources are not likely to keep doing so
forever. In the early days you expect popular sites to live off
generosity, donations of money/bandwidth/servers etc., but once you've
been around you really should be standing on your own two feet.

> But, i have only one vote and i might end in minority ... But you'll drag me
> kicking and screaming to that place.

Hmm, that sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Why not at least try
ads and see if they work? I can't see it destroying the community
(what's left of it), people do realise nowadays that sites have to have
some way of funding themselves and, based on experience on one
heavy-traffic site I've worked with, they'd rather you had a couple of
small textads then endless "please donate money to us" drives or pop-up ads.

Paul
*the pragmatic evil corporate one :)*