[theforum] google AdSense makes dollars (as well as sense)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sat Jun 12 10:12:07 CDT 2004

neuro said:

> I fail to see how my comment was a troll.  How did your attitude advance
the
> discussion any?  You're *ignoring* someone's post while citing people's
> rights to say what they like?  La la la la, I can't hear you!  *sigh*

you know very well that your post was a troll, as it was a comment on my
"attitude".

when a member in effect tells another member to "go away", they are no
longer discussing a topic, but attacking an individual. as a self-moderated
list, i believe such behavior requires calling out, and nipping in the bid.
as a longtime member of evolt, i would hope you feel the same way.

the portion of mr kaufman's post i "ignored" was this personal attack on mr.
waring.

i believe that mr. kaufman has contributed a great deal to evolt, and i
value his posts as much as anyone elses. however, he doesn't have the right
to tell someone to "go away".

no one suggested "l33t" license plates here. as pointed out by mr cannon,
there are other communities thriving in a way that evolt could too. how are
they doing this?
ads. they aren't whining for donations.

i'll bet my truck nutz that more of evolt's traffic comes from search
engines than from members who visit the domain directly. search engine
visitors probably don't even LOOK at the donation banner. but they will look
for a link that solves their problem. if it's an article, great! if its an
ad, why do we care?

i hope we're all aware that sitepoint now *gasp* pays for articles? i bet
they even paid the designer and developer who redid their site.
holy-guacamole, what a concept.
sitepoint may not be offering a whole lot of dough for articles, but lets
face it -- they are one of evolt's main competitors, and are treating their
authors better.

having just enough money to skip by constantly touching bottom is not a wise
business plan for any website, especially a site like evolt.org where the
content (the meat of the site) is generously donated by it's members.

i agree with martin whole-heartedly that we can't depend on one revenue
stream, which is why i suggested an ad on weo. it was simply a suggestion,
based on my own real experience that shows it could be a very profitable
idea. i will be perfectly happy if it is voted down, but not shouted down.

i offer some of my own personal results with google adsense:

date : impressions : clicks : clickthrough rate : daily earnings
      Saturday, May 1, 2004  3,465  67  1.9%  $14.85
      Sunday, May 2, 2004  4,573  73  1.6%  $22.77
      Monday, May 3, 2004  5,194  76  1.5%  $15.87
      Tuesday, May 4, 2004  4,965  77  1.6%  $16.42
      Wednesday, May 5, 2004  4,550  82  1.8%  $20.41
      Thursday, May 6, 2004  4,352  72  1.7%  $22.60
      Friday, May 7, 2004  3,941  78  2.0%  $21.78

that's a lot more money than we get from our donation banner per week.

i apologize to mr kaufman if i offended him, but this is a community. ideas
can be discussed, but members cannot be attacked for having a differing
opinion.

nagrom