[theforum] google AdSense makes dollars (as well as sense)

Lachlan Cannon lach at illuminosity.net
Sat Jun 12 20:10:43 CDT 2004

Martin Burns wrote:
> However, you missed my point which was that the beo ads are themselves a
> nice wee revenue stream which pay a chunky percentage of what are likely
> to be evolt's ongoing hosting costs, and until such time as we *need*
> the money, we don't need to put them anywhere else.

Isn't that a little short-sighted? What if we don't *have* the time to
gather something? How exactly do we lose, if we put ads on weo now and
generate additional income, and can maybe take away the donation form so
that people no longer need to directly financially contribute (or
donate, at any rate)?

Like I pointed out in my other email, I can see plenty of uses for money
for other purposes around evolt and *now* too. Hosting expenses are not
the be-all and end-all of expenditure that we may be in need of. As
Morgan points out, SitePoint pays for (certain) articles now. They pay
for people to update topic-specific blogs for them, and it works.

Every time I go to sitePoint, there's something new on the front page,
and there's at least one or two recent articles that are *really good*
and relevant for me. There'll be more blog posts than that that will
also get my interest. I'm not saying we should be exactly like
SitePoint, what I'm pointing out here is that SitePoint is right now a
thriving interesting community, and sadly I can't say the same for
evolt. A good part of that has to be because they have money to spend on
necessary things (such as full time employees, and offices here in sunny
Melbourne which means their site is timely updated with new features).
--
Lach
http://illuminosity.net/