[theforum] Please trim, please don't top post.

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Aug 2 10:45:54 CDT 2004

Garrett Coakley wrote:
> On Monday, August 2, 2004  @637, s t e f wrote:
>>Either let's put a warning ("watch that wrap") or let's put a message that
>>all URLs are referred to online, in the article.
>
> I've found that enclosing the long urls in '<>' seems to key most mail
> clients to it being a complete url.
>
> Like this: <http://some.long.url.goes
> .in.here.and.hopefully.doesnt.wrap.in.mail.user.agents>

Hehe, as Thunderbird proves the exception ... Why not use our own domain
then if the fear is that tinyurl.com will disappear?  I've never had any
problems referencing very old tinyurls (they're meant to be permanent, hence
why the code at the end of the url is getting longer over time), but we
could always set up evolt.org/r/0xb33f or similar as a redirect mechanism, noh?

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com |    Jay: Dude, don't encourage him