[theforum] weo 2b: to OSS or not?

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Nov 8 21:21:06 CST 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> I'm normally the loudest evangelical proponent of OSS solutions, but in
> this case, for the project to succeed on time (i.e. by January 31st,
> which everyone just voted was the plan), I think we must consider the
> easiest, quickest option, which is to just run the same system we have
> now, by porting it to ColdFusion for Linux,

[snip]

No, no, no, no, no.

-1.

Screw it, -10000000.

Coldfusion for any platform, plus MS SQL Server, plus a server to
run it on?   Reckless, gigantic, verging on *amoral* waste of
donated money.

Let me get something out there in very short phrases:

Moving to an established alternative platform is NOTHING AT ALL
like 'starting from scratch'.

Moving to *any* platform which has *any* documentation is better
than staying on one which has none.

January 31st is over two months away.  Give me access to our
database and I can get this data moved in an afternoon.  Hell, I
did it for someone else a fortnight ago whose *blog* had more
posts in it than our web site, and it took 3 hours.

But take any more of the money we raised for hosting and piss it
up the wall on software licenses?   There's a principle I *do* have.

jh