[theforum] weo 2b: to OSS or not?

Madhu Menon chef at shiokfood.com
Mon Nov 8 23:08:46 CST 2004

At 09:33 09/11/2004, David Kaufman wrote:
>I am still worried that not enough progress will be made fast enough for
>us to put the current system to bed by February but I'm obviously the
>only one that thinks so, and I'd love to be proven wrong!

You're not the only one. ;)

I *know* we have enough project management experience and wisdom on this
list (especially since we're a community of web developers!) to know better
than to rush arse-first into something like this without at least doing a
"requirement v/s feature" comparison of what we have versus what any
proposed CMS can do. This would take at most a day to compile.

Does it have a "Grrr" equivalent? Can it handle contact emails the way we
currently do? As David asked, does it allow users to edit articles after
submission? Does it let you search just among comments? Can we implement
the "cubes" rating for writers? Have you folks all seen the db design of
evolt.org?

The way it *should* work is to say, "I want X, Y, and Z features" and then
find software that will fit that. Right now, we're doing the "gut feel"
method and saying, "Let's use this. We'll figure out the requirements
later". That sounds incredibly wonky to me.

(I thought I'd write my own CMS-migration horror story here, but that's
something for another day.)

Martin?

Regards,

Madhu