[theforum] weo 2b: to OSS or not?

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Tue Nov 9 11:46:34 CST 2004

David Kaufman wrote:
> William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
>
>> David Kaufman wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I'll be happy to assist with documenting what WEO does, and
>>> coordiante with Jeff to get a data dump, write a repeatable
>>> migration script, and get it running on MySQL.
>>
>> hasn't this been done already?
>
> By whom?
>
> Do you mean recently?  Which part(s) did you think were already done,
> getting the data, or writing the script and migrating the db to MySQL?

I think he meant getting the data, but there's nothing available
currently to anyone but Jeff as far as I'm aware.

> I guess it was migrated *to* Microsoft SQL Server (from MySQL?)

 From Oracle.   I imagine that, Jeff being a talented guy, he may
also have made a few changes to the DB schema - which while nice
in a textbook sort of way, could performance-wise almost have
been designed to be as inefficient as possible.  (Full text of
every article was stored in the same table as all the other
article-related data.  Not a nice way to treat any DB server.)

jh