[theforum] Decision time - please cast your vote before noon Saturday Nov 20th (12.00GMT)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 19:19:09 CST 2004

Morgan wrote:
> From: "Martin Paul Burns"
>

> > Morgan wrote on 17/11/2004 17:45:51:
> >
> >> haven't past rewrites involved designated "teams" with leaders that
> had
> >> "todo lists" who then passed out the work to the wonderfully
> willing?
> >
> > Nope. And it's not a valid comparison.
> >
> > 1) Previous rewrites have been deep coding a completely bespoke
> system,
> > rather than on a modular framework application where the focus is on
> light
> > customisation
>
> i guess that depends on your definition of light.

Light as in most of the work being involved in bolting prebuilt
components together and making sure they sing nicely with your front
end, rather than coding them from scratch.

> > 2) Previous rewrites have been along the lines of "Bunch of folk get
> > together without a *great* deal of pre-setting of requirements by
> evolt"
> > even though the participants may have planned a lot. Generally it's
> seemed
> > to those of us outwith the codefest that cool stuff just emerged.
>
> that kind of seems to be what's happening now....but that's ok.

I think you're mistaking a Proof of Concept with the final site.

> >> i don't think anyone really cares (i dare say jeff included) what
> >> platform/system/language evolt runs on as long as we duplicate the
> > existing
> >> functionality.
> >
> > Please see the 'suits you sir' thread: we have already accepted that
> we
> > may
> > lose some functionality for the greater future benefit of a framework
> > where:
> > 1) We are not the only developers
> > 2) There are 3rd party modules to hand
> > 3) We're only working on the top 10% of the system.
> >
> > That discussion is dead, gone, and decided.
>
> martin, when reading back that thread it appears to be a conversation
> you
> had mostly with yourself.

Well it's not as if you were barred from the discussion...

>  but i'm sure they would
> appreciate a more complete feature list so they themselves can give us
> an
> accurate assessment.

You missed this?
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20041108/001107.html

> it also seems to me, that the majority of the core developers of the
> last
> rewrite (those that are still around, and i could be wrong) don't want
> see any functionality or quality lost.

> i think we should heed these folks,

If 'these folks' aren't on theforum - the body that represents
evolt.org - then I don't.

> >> jeff is charging us $50 a month? i think?
> >
> > We're also paying $100/month for a server that's sitting doing
> nothing.
>
> i believe it serves as our mail server, and carries the load for BEO,
> that
> ain't exactly "doing nothing".

Mike's already pointed out that that's not the case (and was too modest
to point out that he's one of the people paying for it)

> >> i think we can all see that evolt will *work* in drupal, but as jeff
> > pointed out there is a huge amount of tweaking to be done, and we
> all kow
> > that
> > takes a lot of time.
> >
> > Yes there's tweaking to be done. But think of a few things:
> >
> > 1) The majority of existing functionality was put together in a few
> > weekends. We have 4 weeks. The hard bits are done.
> >
> > 2) Unless we have an impetus to do the tweaking, inertia will reign
> as it
> > has done for the last few years. Moving to Jeff's system was
> supposed to
> > be
> > a short term thing. What, 2 years ago nearly?
> >

> i agree, but i still think we need a features list.
> and i don't think it's fair to make .jeff "the bad guy" here.

Didn't say he was - actually, I think it's been remiss of *evolt.org*
to quietly let a temporary thing become semi-permanent. In that we're
all guilty.