[theforum] css layout and html source order decisions

David Currey davidcurrey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:09:39 CST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:16:13 -0500, Tara Cleveland
<evolt at taracleveland.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 26-Jan-05, at 2:32 PM, David Currey wrote:
> > search and login are at bottom of source
>
> Well I suppose it's a matter of priority. For search engines and
> accessibility, and I'd argue, for older browsers too, I'd prefer to
> have the search, login and other sidebar elements on the bottom of the
> page. Content is king and it really should come before the areas of the
> page that are extraneous to the purpose of the page. Feel free to argue

No I agree, just checking as I am a bit confused

> > the .png comp and previous styled html example have three columns but
> > a decision of two columns has been mentioned. Has there been any
> > decision on that?
>
> /me searches the archives...
>
> Nope no decision for a two-column layout was made. Martin asked for a
> mockup of a two-column layout. So, unless a vote is called to change it
> (and probably to overshoot our deadline), I think we've gotta stick to
> the three columns.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:00:12 -0000 (GMT), Martin Burns
<yumyum at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:

> As far as I know, no-one's done any CSS work on these templates. When we
> get a URL of the HTML, can someone volunteer to work on the CSS in the
> next day or two. If it helps, start from the PoC CSS:
> http://evolt.userfrenzy.com/
> but I think we agreed on a 2 column layout with all the login etc stuff on
> the right hand side as at present.

So before I discovered,
http://tempest.evolt.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/weo_theme/page.tpl.php I
was confused by martin's 2 column reference and now I see more recent
work on the templates but don't know how to get at the output html.

> > For the content displayed in white area with blue header is it a crime
> > to add a container around enclosed elements - either two or three
> > cols?
>
> Umm... I'm not sure where you're suggesting putting the container.
> There is a content div. And divs around the different page elements.
> Can you give us an example of what you mean?

well #content and leftcol and rightcol are a block related to content
eg .... hold on this is too silly I must be working of the wrong code.
This is what I have been using:
http://spiked.co.uk/evoltpages-05-01-25/homepage.html

what I have been tring to style has just one div (#content) and my
question was about what the proposed parent element for left col and
right col was ?

confused still,

dave