[theforum] whither deo..?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Sep 19 10:12:58 CDT 2006

Hi Martin,

Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
> It's been suggested a few times in my hearing that DEO
> (directory.evolt.org) is:
>
> 1) A lot of work to manage

I can +1 that, after managing it for just a short while...

> 2) A magnet for spammers

Yup, and thats mostly why it's a lot of work to manage.  That, and
trying to decide what links seem purely self-promotional or too
commercial for an evolt directory.  I confess having no formal
guidelines to adviise such decisions, just my gut.

> 3) Not bringing a lot of value to evolters (for useful and topical
>   links,

I've never found the content very useful... but then I've never really
"tried" -- I'm probably not the best guage of its usefulness, since I
don't even use digg or del.icio.us either...?

> and therefore, we should kill it.
>
> So, entirely open questions:
>
> 1) is the above set of assertions correct?

Methinks yes.

> 2) is the conclusion also correct?

I think to answer that we should ask the List.  Or maybe post a poll on
d.e.o that only those who DO use it will see, saying something like:

We're thinking of dust-balling this thing.  If you use it, love it
and/or find it useful, please take a moment to answer this poll:

 [ ] I love it
 [ ] I use it once in a while
 [ ] I could care less

-dave