[theforum] w.e.o. updating/rethemeing and re-architecting?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 20:07:58 CDT 2008

On 8 Oct 2008, at 23:22, ekm at seastorm.com wrote:

> Adrian, I don't think you are talking about changing the logo...?
> because
> I think that we have a kick-ass logo, and it is a strong/huge/historic
> part of our brand.  There is also something about keeping a logo
> old-school that just rules... think Krispy Kreme... Coca Cola... IMO
> do
> not f w/ the cubes.  IMO, the evolt cubes *are* sacred.  I'd lose a
> piece
> of my heart if they changed, I kid you not.  plus, don't a few of us
> have
> them tattooed on our bodies?  hell yeah they are sacred.

Yet on my design, they've evolved a bit.
MeFi had this the other day:
http://best-ad.blogspot.com/2008/08/evolution-of-logos.html

> The current design has a "3 cube" theme happening: work/test/donate

Yeah, cos Work/Rest/Play (huge resonance for UK people here btw, as
that was a very long ad strapline for a brand of chocolate comestible)

But Play didn't get implemented on the current site, and the 'support'
thing was slightly shoe-horned in - it's in a much fainter tab on my
design.

Incidentally, 'Play' logically links to either planet.evolt.org or
spool.evolt.org.

In either case, the theme needs to update in line.
If the former, I think it would work better as a Drupal site pulling
in RSS, as that's *way* easier to add new feeds to than Planet.

This bears saying: I'm entirely not precious about the visual look of
my theme. I'm much more attached to the changes in how it works/is
structured. And I will fight tooth and nail for the Google Map thingy.

If I were thinking this again, I'd actually be a bit inspired by the
stages of design exposed here:
http://2007.dconstruct.org/
because essentially, it's showing what we all *do* (in parts if not
full lifecycle); it speaks to people like us.

And I'd rather have something that spoke to the us that is the evolt-
like community than is Zeldman-beautiful (much as I love and admire
his work).

So yeah, I'd visually style something that looked like a wireframe, or
had sketches of MVC architectures, or whatever, and a hand-drawn evolt
logo (or random pick from 5 versions).