[theforum] milestones... nudge, nudge

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 03:26:44 CDT 2008

On 16 Oct 2008, at 02:14, Erika wrote:

> There is a milestone for migrating the server (Thanks, William!) but
> it's set for March 31, 2009.  For real?  Because I was thinking we
> should do templates and such AFTER modernizing PHP/SQL/Drupal.

On old server:
*) run with current site until migration
*) migrate weo data to new server

On new server:
*) Change OS to Debian/Ubuntu
*) Do any upgrades to PHP/MySQL necessary to support Drupal 6
*) Install Drupal 6
*) Develop templates for new site
*) Test
*) Extract content/user data off old server, transform to Drupal 6
where necessary and load to new server
*) Do final test
*) Launch new site

Later (but not *too* much later), and non-dependently: migrate non-weo
stuff to new server and decommission old one.

There's probably an interim ETL step for testing, and the final
migration will - necessarily - need to be fairly quick.