[theforum] evolt.org layout/typography driving me nuts

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Nov 10 20:06:15 CST 2008

Elfur Logadóttir wrote:
> 4) "The web workers world community" ??? what is this?

This was taken from Martin's design.  I'm just trying to go w/ the flow
on all of that.   I think we're working on a re-envision of ourselves.
I'm open to whatever.  It's just text.  ;)

> bottom, with your twist) ... or even better ... start with a logo on a
> completely blank canvas ...

Starting with a blank canvas is what I did, while using Martin's
colophon, tag clouds and other the specs which are all in the project
management site. I was neither "repainting the bike shed" nor
"reinventing the wheel."

I am also on board with using Martin's design.  There are elements I'd
change, mostly in typography and small details (dump the red headlines,
dump the drop shadows, use fewer - and more attractive - bullets -
change the donate form from blue to greyscale, refine the link coloring
a bit... SMALL things).

I am further on board with looking at another whole design, but it needs
to be very soon.

I think that as a whole, Martin's design is attractive, and solidly
usable.  And it would save us lot of work to use something that's
already been coded in valid xhtml for Drupal.  We can take something
that's already good, and working, refine it perhaps... and keep moving!

Finally, there is not going to be any design that pleases everyone, nor
will all elements in every design please everyone. I mean, I would go
back (on mine) to the original logo size, find a way to get that black
in there, and move the homepage login form, because that was the
feedback that came from multiple sources.  Will I?  Not if the
preference is strongly toward another design.

This is going to be a case where we need to pick our battles.  I will
always battle for usability as a top priority... THE top priority.

see you in #evolt.

Erika