[theforum] A sound of silence

Simon MacDonald simonmacdonald at uk2.net
Thu Nov 20 13:24:48 CST 2008

As a relative newbie to evolt I don't know the history behind the various
iterations of the site/community. I can understand the attraction of doing
our own thing - but that comes with a cost. OK do a RYO ( roll your own)
build - I guess that's where the joomlas and drupals et al came from - but
that is a real knock on effect for future support if you haven't got a *BIG*
community supporting it.

I've seen some of the agg(ravation) over just the evolt design and direction
- do we need the agg of arguing over the direction of the supporting CMS as
well?

Yeah, Drupal ain't a perfect CMS - none of them are (a previous post of mine
says I'd like to RMyO as an interesting exercise) - but given that it's
being used, I think that in terms of long term support issues we should use
something with  a relatively main stream adoption - if only to ensure
consistency of long term support - yeah ok - I know there is anarchic thing
about evolt, but sometimes practicalities are required (painful experience).
(jeese - I used to be called MadMac, but now occasionally I find myself
coming over all sensible).

So, Matt - I would really like to RYO - but I don't think its what we (in my
limited evolt experience) should do. Maybe we should start a
separate/parallel project to build an evolt CMS???

£0.03 worth tonight

cheers
Simon

Simon MacDonald