[theforum] wiki uploads

Simon MacDonald simonmacdonald at uk2.net
Sun Nov 30 04:34:08 CST 2008

Currently uploads are not allowed to the wiki. I think it would be useful to
allow uploads, but I'm aware this could be abused.

Do we have a policy about uploads? WikiMedia have had a problem[1].

I would not want to put unnecessary restrictions on the wiki community - the
default, when it is switched on, is for all registered users to be able to
upload - but it's easy to register.

I think a combination of limiting size/type of file and some moderation of
uploads would handle it initially. If  excessive abuse is noticed then maybe
restrict to an uploadsallowed user group[2]

Views?

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Uploads_being_abused

[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads

-S