[theforum] internationalisation

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sat Dec 6 20:22:04 CST 2008

We're rethinking evolt.org, but one thing we've wanted to do for a long
time is be a better international/multilingual site.

I think it's fair to say that we achieve consensus with this back in
2001, and the only thing that held us back was software (which should
not be an issue anymore) general confusion, and lack of follow through.

As we are rethinking the site, I want to keep
internationalisation/localisation foremost in mind.

Martin wrote about it here:
http://wiki.evolt.org/wiki/Internationalisation_and_Localisation
But I have a difficult time understanding what Martin is saying, or how
to implement the vision as articulated.

My feeling is that it might be preferable to run a pilot project in a
second language, see what issues we run into, while simultaneously
making sure that our code and forms is/are agnostic enough to
accommodate future work.

I'd like to have a workspace (maybe that wiki page, or maybe another)
where we can hack together a plan, and also maybe a group to work on it.
  I'd like to find some non-native-English admin types with interest in
working on this.

BTW, what non-English language did we publish in already (was it
German?) and what were the issues with it?

Erika