[theforum] revisiting categories

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Dec 22 21:00:40 CST 2008

aardvark wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2008 at 15:08, Sarah Adams wrote:
>> Is it just me, or does this organization seem wacky? Since when are HTML
>> or CSS "code"? Since when is code not "back end"? I think we need to
>> overhaul this completely.
>
> when i see "back end" i tend to assume the de facto converse, "front
> end," will be an option as well... it's my own expectation, but i'd
> bet i developed it in such a way that lots of us have that
> expectation...
>
> so i'd dump code...
>
> i'd consider letting AJAX live in both back end and front end... like
> a hermaphrodite, in a very stretched metaphor sort of way...

How about:

     * Code (this would be include front-end and back-end 'code')
     * Commentary and Society (equivalent to ALA's 'culture')
     * IA/UX
     * News and Reviews
     * Site Development (basically, process)
     * Software
     * Visual Design

This keeps "code" but drops off "back-end."  So we don't need to decide
what code is back-end, what isn't.   Which is how ALA approaches it (and
thus may even be some sort of 'de facto standard').

It also gets us down to seven primary categories, a very usable number,
IMO.  (I figure between 3-10 is a usable number of category links).

Erika