[theforum] revisiting categories

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 03:40:32 CST 2008

On 22 Dec 2008, at 19:40, Erika wrote:

> Martin Burns wrote:
>>>
>>> why? how?
>> Because either they're comprehensive and therefore susceptible to
>> flavour of the month
>
> re: TAGS/TAG CLOUDS
>
> I am not sure how well tag clouds work for navigation and so would
> need more input on their usability to take an educated stance on
> whether they are  better than subcategories for things like "Code"
> which is simply too general for the amount of content we now have on
> our site.

Believe me, as a longstanding user of Flickr where content navigation
is primarily by tags (NB Tag *clouds* are separate - they're a handy
way of visualising the relative frequency of use of tags, but you
don't need clouds to implement tags), they're *extremely* useful when
you have a long (and expanding) list of potential categories that
can't be predicted in advance, and can cross-relate.

So I'd be very happy to have an article with multiple tags of
javascript, libraries, jQuery, sorting (which would go *across*
multiple other categories, so you could see articles that implemented
sorting in many different ways) etc.