[theforum] weo migration

Dean Mah dean.mah at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:42:34 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 7:28 AM, David Kaufman<david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
> Dean wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> What was the specific issue, login problems?  Is it difficult to
>>> reproduce?  I'm doing some testing now.
>  > Login and then go to any page. Check to see if you are still logged
>  > in.
>
> Ok, so that was an easy bug to reproduce :-)
>
> So I have the old weo and old drupal running (with the session bug in
> full bloom) and I have a test environment of sorts (i created a tempest
> user on tron -- is that confusing enough?) and scripts to
>
> 1) pull fresh copies of htdocs and database from production, and
>
> 2) revert my dev site to the latest copy of production (fixing up things
> like permissions the db_url in settings.php and such)
>
> and now I need to develop either:
>
> a) a script that performs the steps to upgrade drupal to the latest 4.x
> that works with php 5, or
>
> b) compile custom apache 1.3x and php4 binaries and reconfigure the
> virtual host to use them, so it is usable
>
> If a is going to work, I have to get around this session bug first,
> which you mentioned was frustrating.  Since I can't login I can't do the
> recommended pre-upgrade steps such as disabling plugins and reverting to
> the default theme first.
>
> I wonder if I should try doing this upgrade step (from 1.6.1 to 1.7.11)
> on a dev copy on tempest first (where drupal + php works) then sync that
> over to tempest... I'll try that next.  Friday morning probably -- need
> at least one night of sleep this week :-)

In my experience, you don't need to be able to login to do the
upgrade.  There is a variable in the update.php file that you can set
to remove the requirement to login.  If memory serves, you don't need
to return to the default theme.  At least not when you are going from
4.6.3 -> 4.7.

For the session bug, I had a similar problem with limesurvey.  I used
LiveHTTPHeaders to see the cookies that were being sent back and forth
and noticed an inconsistency after a session_regenerate_id in the code
where the new session id was not being passed.  I was going to start
looking there for the problem in the Drupal code.

Dean