[theforum] Zombie!

Adrian Roselli Roselli at algonquinstudios.com
Tue Jun 4 12:35:53 CDT 2013

[...]

> > Here's my idea of how we celebrate 15 years:
> >
> > 1. Convert evolt.org to a static HTML site. Turn off submissions,
> > commenting, and sign-ups. Take the site as it stands now (when it is
> > working), spider it to flat HTML, and keep it out there as a part of web
> > history. At that point, it can really be hosted anywhere.
>
> Interesting.  I doubt we'd need to spider it since everything's in the database.
> See comments below.

True, but sometimes a spider tool does a good job of gathering all the assets and creating a simple flat file structure. I still spider stuff all the time (most recently when Posterous shut down), but I understand that a technical discussion is premature. Even though I just had one.

> > 2. Approach some of the names in the industry (folks like Christian
> > Heilmann, Eric Meyer, and so on) who were evolters or had worked directly
> > with evolt.org and ask them to write up a missive for the 15th anniversary
> > (with a 6 month lead time).
>
> Like it.

If others like it then we should gather names. For example, Stephane Deschamps does a good job of finding other evolters at conferences, Martin seems to have a good handle on many, and so on. They can all help identify folks to approach.

> > 3. Approach evolt.org contemporaries of the time (Webmonkey guys,
> > Zeldman) and ask if they'd like to say a few words about our shared history.
>
> Anyone have contacts at WIRED?  :)

Is anyone still at Wired?

> > 4. Gather it all and put together a nice anniversary piece on the home page,
> > while gracefully announcing the permanent mothballing of weo, all links still
> > intact.
>
> weo as-is, unless there is a massive upswell of support for retaining evolt as a
> web developer community and support site, should definitely be
> mothballed.  I think it would be nice to wrap the *content* in a pleasing,
> simple, modern HTML template, leaving it all Google-friendly and reader-
> friendly at the same time.  Mike is looking at various Drupal upgrade-locally /
> sidegrade-to-the-cloud options to make lives easier.

I think carving it out of any CMS is a good idea if it goes static. I still think the evolt.org blacktabnavbarthingie template that Isaac put together is the most iconic of all the layouts we've had. But I also have no interest in trying to make a go of that or any other re-templating effort.

> > I think the lists and beo can continue on, assuming there is enough use to
> > warrant.
>
> Hence my thought of expanding the mission of evolt.org from web
> developer community to simply community.  I'm not sure I'm articulating this
> part well.  I like the idea of people sharing things with people they like, and
> commenting on them.  I'm aware people do this already on Facebook,
> Reddit, Hacker News, et al.  I think we could join in the fun.  I'm not sure.
> Wibble.

Meh.

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but there are so many platforms, so many networks, and so many ways of doing it that *I* wouldn't want to play in that space. Whether or not I would be interested should have no bearing on the future direction, however. Otherwise we'd be selling evolt.org cheeses.

Which I would buy.