[thesite] test.evolt - urls to articles

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Mon Nov 20 11:57:01 CST 2000

Oliver Lineham wrote:

> hey, i notice on the test site the urls to articles are now:
>
> http://test.evolt.org/article/Pick_one_standards_or_a_browser/25/3696/index.cfm
>

> is that a permanent thing?   i assume the article var is ignored
> anyway.  is it just there to make the links look more meaningful or what?

yes, its permanent. we did it for a couple reaons.

1.) looks better than passing variables on the right
2.) index spiders just *LOVE* it when there are keywords in the URL, as
opposed to just the body or meta tags. they give higher relevance when
there are keywords in the URL as well.

this is the super sexy swinging URL formatting we were talking about. If
you cruise around teh site you'll notice that most of the URL's now look
'real', not just article ones. the only ones that dont are form
submissions, which robots don't follow anyways.

more to come soon..

.djc.