[thesite] map - the FSFE way

mantruc javier at msm.cl
Wed Jul 25 17:58:00 CDT 2001

Bruce Heerssen wrote:

> mantruc wrote:
>

> >Dean Mah wrote:
> >
> >>This is just a side project for me.  I don't want it to take away from
> >>the Flash version.  My version doesn't scale very well.  The maps that
> >>it generates are pretty big (500K) depending on the output size.  It
> >>looks a lot better as a background on my desktop.  It's kind of
> >>interesting to watch day break and night fall on evolters.  Might
> >>throw in the option to grab the cloud image overlays that are
> >>generated evry 6 hours.
> >>

> >ok, i thought it was cool, but we still need something more apropriate
> >(sp?)
> >

> +1
> It's *damn* cool. But what is it makes that one inappropriate?

wee need a flat map as a base
the goal of the map -the way i see it - is to show all the members at
once
in a relatively proportional map so we can see how far appart we are
from
each other

> Sorry, I've been busy for a while and haven't had much time for this.
> I'll just have to take baby steps with this one as I have other more
> important projects - like the ones that pay my bills ;)

undesrtood, no prob

> I found some really nice maps that could be used and I downloaded a
> list of  lats & lons for many US cities. I have a script ready to put
> that into a database, or I could have it as a text file.
>
> So that's got the basis for a start - I think I'll be able to find more
> time for this either tonight or this weekend (full schedule for me this
> week).

if you have some time this saturday
holler me at javier at mantruc.com - not subscribed from there

> Anyone figure out a way to find lats and lons for other countries based
> upon postal address (or code)? Looks like we are particularly interested
> in Chile, Brittain, Western Europe, and Australia. That should cover
> most folks on the list - let me know if there's more..

i think the list has lots of people from india
don't know about China - Japan, but i bet there are some

but a universal city locator,
as the ones provided by Dean, can serve the whole world

i feel like i don't know where to start on this, don't know where i can
be of help
i just don't want this thing to die, we've been waiting this for just
too long.

--
javier
http://mantruc.com