[thesite] priv levels (was: voting application)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Nov 1 16:07:59 CST 2001

>OK, I'm new here. Can you clue me in on what "priv 2" and "priv 3" are.

you are also way past your bedtime, young man

0 = guest, public, unrestricted
1 = user (registered on evolt.org, e.g. to add a comment)
2 = member ("more than a user")
3 = admin
4 = god

"priv" stands for either privilege or privacy (take your pick)

the basic idea is this -- every piece of data has a priv level attached to
it, indicating its level of privacy, so that the person looking at it has
to have a priv level equal or higher

users who register through the evolt site are assigned a priv of 1
automatically, and admins are given priv 3 manually through a brute force
database update

we do not yet have a mechanism for members

anyhow, the way the priv concept is supposed to work, we could add articles
to the site that document admin procedures, give such articles a priv level
of 3, and then you'd have to be an admin to see them

similarly for the member pages, where each piece of data has a priv level,
i would tag my email id with priv 0, my home phone with 1, my pager (if i
had one) with 2, and so on...

dig?  now get to bed, you evolt-a-holic

rudemeister

p.s. there may be some confusion about the *actions* that certain people
are authorized to perform, e.g. sign on to the database, reset somebody's
mail status, and so on -- but i would rather that these not be co-mingled
with the priv concept