[thesite] if anyones bored..

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Oct 26 14:23:46 CDT 2001

Daniel J. Cody wrote on 26/10/01 8:24 am

>> Also, if I were the Anonymous Donor who'd just forked over
>> a copy of CF5, I'd be *really* upset if I heard that it was
>> about to be dumped so soon after donating it.
>

>martin, the anonymous donor didn't donate it to run evolt. they gave it
>for the members.evolt.org accounts.

So given that the closed source problem of CF looking in a
non-configurable place is for mysql on meo, not weo:

http://lists.evolt.org/thesitearchive/2001-October/1563933.html
http://lists.evolt.org/thesitearchive/2001-October/1563934.html

what's the problem with weo? If we're only talking about dumping it
for weo, you've still got that as a problem for meo.

(oh, while I think about it - can we just do a double check
that the license(s) we have allow us to run it on *eo, and
that it's not a 1 license per box thing the way it used to
be).

Sure I could believe that we'd get performance gains from
PHP. But I'm not sure they're worth losing the other stuff
(aeo, ueue etc) whose development time doing the conversion
would suck up.

Unless we do get a whole bunch of extra hands on the job,
but even then it would take a while.

>you're not the anonymous donor afaik. dont make assumptions on your
>perceptions of what that donor wanted please.

Like Aard said - basic human nature. Oh, and 7 years of professional
fundraising - asking for donations from individuals and
organisations, nearly 4 of those years fulltime.

Donor psychology is something I do know pretty well... if
none of us know who the donor is (and it sounds like you don't
either ('afaik' above)), then we're all making assumptions,
but I would suggest that mine have a basis in experience
and a reasonable probability of being correct.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland