[thesite] what's wrong with my site? which server is down?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Fri Sep 14 12:49:42 CDT 2001

Hi Rudy,

Naw - you're okay - this stuff gets pretty strange.

I'll probably screw this up .. cuz I'm new at this too!  (I bought the dang
O'Reilly book - but it's sitting under the last 10 O'Reilly books I haven't
had time to read yet!)

I think the problem is with your host.  I would guess that the server they
have that contains DNS lookup information is down.

Internic is the registrar ... I don't think the problem is with them because
they probably aren't hosting your site.

I don't think the problem is with your ISP ... UNLESS you are hosting your
site through them.  In which case (I think) it IS their problem.

In my (extremely) limited understanding, a normal sized web hosting company
has a bunch of servers ... some that hold the actual html files ... and some
that only hold the "routing" information - the DNS stuff.  I think they are
supposed to have two of these, usually on different boxes, that "fail over"
when one goes down.  I also think it doesn't always happen that way.

Anyway, that's my guess ... one of your host's DNS servers went down and
they may or may not be aware of it or working to fix it.

HTH,

RonL.